The Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council is conducting a poster competition designed for students in grades K to 12. The theme is “Traditional Navigation, Seafaring and Fishing.” Attached is a resource guide to help teachers learn more about this topic and incorporate the contest into their lesson plans. Click here to view resource guide, and links to additional educational resources e.g. online videos
- Crayons, paint, pencil, magic marker, collage, or other appropriate materials may be used for submissions.
- Paper should be 8.5 x 11 inches or 11 x 17 inches in a landscape layout.
- Competitors must put their name, grade level, name of their teacher and school, and a contact telephone number for the school and student on the back of their submission.
- Entry deadline is 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 25, 2015. Students should drop their posters at the Department of Education’s Office of Curriculum and Instruction in Tafuna village.
Judging Criteria: The poster competition will be divided into four categories: grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12. The artwork in each category will be judged by a panel of experts in the visual and traditional cultural arts, based on the following criteria:
- Adherence to rules.
- Portrayal of the theme of “Traditional Navigation, Seafaring and Fishing.”
- Artistic technique.
- The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners from the four categories will each receive a prize and award recognition. Two honorable mentions will also be recognized.
- Their artwork will be featured in the 2016 Amerika Samoa Lunar Tide Calendar, featuring traditional Samoan fishing knowledge.
- The winning art will also be showcased at the 12th Festival of Pacific Arts being held May 22 to June 4, 2016, on Guam.
- The Council reserves the right to use all entries in other Council publications and venues as well.
Contact: For additional information on this poster contest, contact Nate Ilaoa at (684) 258-9588 or (684) 633-4456, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for “Traditional Navigation, Seafaring and Fishing Teachers Resource Guide”.
Click here for a printable pdf version of the AS poster contest announcement.