Learn about our IUCN World Conservation Congress Exhibit:
Our exhibit will feature Hawaii and U.S. Pacific Islands fisheries, which have been at the forefront of sustainable fishery management and protected species bycatch mitigation for decades. These fisheries have played a leadership role in reducing ecosystem impacts from fisheries while contributing to food security. Fisheries are at a crossroad of various factors critical in achieving conservation goals, such as sustainability, communities, economics, ecosystem, culture, livelihoods, spatial planning, climate, science and governance.
Nearly 90% of Hawaii’s food supply and 60% of seafood are shipped or flown in over thousands of miles. Sustainable utilization of marine resources in waters surrounding the islands contributes to lower carbon emissions and increased food security for this island state, which is one of the most isolated population centers around the world.
Fishing, fishing communities and seafood consumers also encompass the diverse cultural, ethnic and historical background of Hawaii, allowing engagement of conservation issues across a broad range of the population.
Find out more about Hawaii’s fisheries here:
Looking for a Publication you saw at the booth?
- Navigating the Western Pacific Council Process
- Celebrating 40 Years of Regional Fisheries Management
- Current: Special Issue Featuring U.S. Regional Management Councils Providing Sound Stewardship of Our Nation’s Fishery Resources (Volume 25, No. 3)
- Summer 2016 Pacific Island Fishery News (latest newsletter featuring the Monument Expansion)
- Pacific Islands Fishery Monograph Series
- No. 4: Protected Species Conservation
- No. 3: American Samoa Archipelagic Fishery Ecosystem Report
- No. 2: Ten Years and Counting – The First 10 Years of the Western and Central Pacific Highly Migratory Fish Stocks Convention
- No. 1: The Precious Corals Fishery Management Plan of the Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council
- Fish & Fishery Fact Sheets
- Keeping Hawaii Seafood Sustainable
- Hawaii: A Center for Pacific Sea Turtle Research & Conversation
- Book: Ecosystem-based Fisheries Management in the Western Pacific
- Book: Conservation of Pacific Sea Turtles
- Fish Forever Favorites Cookbook
- Lunar Calendars:
- Current: Special Issue Featuring Ho‘ohanohano I Nā Kūpuna Puwalu (Volume 24, No. 2)
Find the videos featured at the booth!
- Council and Fishery Management
- Traditional, cultural and responsible fishing
- Other topics