Hawaii Matters Radio Segments
The Fisherman’s Code of Conduct with interviewees Charley Ka’ai’ai, WPRFMC’s Indigenous Coordinator and Sylvia Spalding, WPRFMC’s Communication Officer (Interview on radio show “Hawaii Matters“, which is aired on Sundays from 6:30am to 7:00am on all Ohana Broadcast Company radio stations) Radio Air Date: 8/09/15
American Samoa 93KHJ Radio Segments
Interviewed persons at the October 17, 2015, Fishers Forum on American Samoa Fisheries, at the Port Administration main dock, Fagatogo, American Samoa, hosted by the Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council and American Samoa Department of Marine and Wildlife Resources. Interviewers are Joey Cummings and Sa Viena of South Seas Broadcasting. Interviews played on 93KHJ.
1) Interviewing Peter Crispin – recreational fishermen, owner of Pago Pago Marine Charter
2) Interviewing Joe Hamby, chief operating officer of Tri Marine Group (purse seiners).
3) Interviewing Lafoga Alovao, owner of Figota O Le Sami Fish Market.
4) Interviewing Christinna Lutu-Sanchez, longline owner, president of Tautai O Samoa Longline Association and chair of the Council’s American Samoa Advisory Panel.
5) Interviewing Claire Poumele, director of American Samoa Port Administration and member of the Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council.
6) Interviewing Kitty Simonds, executive director of the Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council.
Go Fish! with Mike Buck Radio Segments
120) Amy Vandehey, describing Council-sponsored educational opportunities like the US Pacific Territories Fishery Capacity-Building Scholarship, and how everyone is connected to the ocean in some way. Part 2 of 2. Radio Air date 8/10/2019
119) Amy Vandehey, the Council’s new Education & Outreach Coordinator, describes her background and new position, including encouraging the public’s involvement with the 2020 Hawai‘i lunar calendars, and checking out publications like the quarterly newsletter on the Council website. Part 1 of 2. Radio Air Date 8/03/2019
118) Marlowe Sabater & Crew, Bio Sampling. Part 2 of 2. Radio Air Date 7/27/2019
117) Marlowe Sabater & Crew, Bio Sampling. Part 1 of 2. Radio Air Date 7/20/2019
116) Mark Fitchett, Pelagic News from Meetings. Radio Air Date 7/13/2019
115) Marlowe Sabater, 179th Council Meeting Recap. Radio Air Date 7/06/2019
114) Joshua DeMello and Nathan Ilaoa, Samoa. Radio Air Date: 6/29/2019
113) Joshua DeMello, 178th Council Meeting Recap. Radio Air Date: 6/22/2019
112) Mark Fitchett, Upcoming Meetings. Radio Air Date 6/15/2019
111) Mark Fitchett, Ahi and Pelagic Update. Radio Air Date 6/08/2019
110) Marlowe Sabater, Island Fish. Radio Air Date: 5/25/2019
109) Asuka Ishizaki, Protected Species. Radio Air Date: 5/18/2019
108) Mark Fitchett, International Fisheries. Radio Air Date 5/11/2019
107) Mark Fitchett, Oceanic White Tip. Radio Air Date 5/04/2019
106) Saipan and Guam Fishermen. Radio Air Date 4/27/2019
105) Erron Yoshioka, Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council’s High School summer program. Radio Air Date: 4/20/2019
104) Ed Watamura and Jim Hori. Radio Air Date: 4/13/2019
103) Thomas Remington, 178th Council Meeting wrap up, part 2 of 2. Radio Air Date: 4/06/019
102) Thomas Remington, 178th Council Meeting wrap up, part 1 of 2. Radio Air Date: 3/30/019
102) Joshua DeMello and Floyd Masga. Radio Air Date: 3/23/219
101) Joshua DeMello, Upcoming meetings and forum details. Radio Air Date: 3/16/2019
100) Sylvia Spalding, Meetings update. Radio Air Date: 3/09/2019
99) Sylvia Spalding, Newsletter update. Radio Air Date: 03/02/2019
98) Thomas Remington – Scholarships. Radio Air Date 02/23/2019
97) Thomas Remington – Annual Report. Radio Air Date 02/16/2019
96) Mark Fitchett – Abundance. Radio Air Date 02/09/22019
95) Mark Fitchett, Lam and Lutcavage, Radio Air Date 02/02/2019
94) Mark Fitchett – Billfish & Spearfish. Radio Air Date 01/26/2019
93) Mark Fitchett – Big Eye Study. Radio Air Date 01/19/2019
92) Josh DeMello, Modern REC Fish ACT. Radio Air Date 01/12/2019
91) Eric Kingma. Radio Air Date 12/22/2018
90) Sylvia Spalding. Radio Air Date 12/15/2018
89) Mark Fitchett-Pelagics #2/2. Radio Air Date 12/08/18
88) Mark Fitchett-Pelagics #1/2. Radio Air Date 12/01/18
87) Marlowe Sabater 2018 in Review. Radio Air Date 11/24/18
86) Asuka Ishizaki –East Island & More. Radio Air Date 11/17/18
85) John Wiley Akule Project. Radio Air Date 11/10/18
84) Josh DeMello Meeting Wrap Up. Radio Air Date 11/03/18
83) Joshua DeMello and Marlowe Sabater Part #2/2 Meeting. Radio Air Date 10/20/18
82) Joshua DeMello and Marlowe Sabater Part #1/2 Meeting/s. Radio Air Date 10/13/18
81) Eric Kingma Part #2/2 Enforcement. Radio Air Date 10/06/18
80) Eric Kingma Part #1/2 Billfish Act. Radio Air Date 9/29/18
79) Asuka Ishizaki Part #2/2 Loggerheads. Radio Air Date 9/22/18
78) Asuka Ishizaki Part #1/2 Seabirds. Radio Air Date 9/15/18
77) Mark Fitchett, PHD Pelagics #2 of 2. Radio Air Date 9/08/18
76) Mark Fitchett, PHD Pelagics #1 of 2. Radio Air Date 8/25/18
75) Cassie Pardee & John Wiley #2 of 2. Radio Air Date 8/18/18
74) Cassie Pardee & John Wiley #1 of 2. Radio Air Date 8/11/18
73) Gary Beals, AP Chair. Radio Air Date 8/4/18
72) Josh Demello-AP members. Radio Air Date 7/28/18
71) Ben Richards NOAA Fishery Biol. Radio Air Date 7/21/18
70) Sylvia Spalding and John Marra, PhD NOAA. Radio Air Date 7/14/2018
69) Marlowe Sabater and Thomas Remington. Radio Air Date 6/30/2018
68) Joshua DeMello recaps the Fishers Forum. Radio Air Date 6/23/2018
67) Roy Morioka & Ed Watamura. Radio Air Date 6/16/2018
66) Bottomfish Oral History Group. Radio Air Date 6/9/2018
65) Josh DeMello and Marlowe Sabater talking about 173rd Council Meeting. Radio Air Date 6/2/2018.
64) Josh DeMello and Marlowe Sabater talking about science statistics. Radio Air Date 5/26/2018.
63) Josh DeMello talking about collaborative partnerships. Radio Air Date 5/19/2018.
62) Asuka Ishizaki. Part 2 of 2. Radio Air Date 5/12/2018.
61) Asuka Ishizaki. Part 1 of 2. Radio Air Date 5/5/2018.
60) Erron Yoshioka, Science Teacher at Moanalua High school and the Instructor for the Council’s Marine Science Summer Course on Fishery and Resource Management on Oahu. Radio Air Date 4/28/2018.
59) Joshua DeMello talking about the Council’s Marine Science Summer Course on Fishery and Resource Management that is available for high school students. Radio Air Date 4/21/2018.
58) Bob Fram. Radio Air Date 4/14/2018.
57) Josh DeMello and Andrew Torres, NOAA. Radio Air Date 4/7/2018.
56) Clay Tam – Pacific Islands Fishing Group. Radio Air Date 3/31/2018
55) Josh DeMello talking about the 172nd Council Meeting outcomes. Radio Air Date 3/24/2018
54) Sylvia Spalding & Crew. Radio Air Date 3/10/2018
53) Josh DeMello and Marlowe Sabater 2 of 2. Radio Air Date 3/3/2018
52) Josh DeMello and Marlowe Sabater 1 of 2. Radio Air Date 2/24/2018
51) Eric Kingma with Coast Guard 2 of 2. Radio Air Date 2/17/2018
50) Eric Kingma 1 of 2. Radio Air Date 2/10/2018
49) Sylvia Spalding 2 of 2. Radio Air date 2/3/2018
48) Sylvia Spalding 1 of 2. Radio Air date 1/27/2018
47) Fishing Civics 2 of 2. Joshua DeMello. Radio Air Date 1/20/2018
46) Fishing Civics 1 of 2. Joshua DeMello. Radio Air Date 1/13/2018
45) United Nations World Tuna Day. Sylvia Spalding, communications officer discusses the 1st Inaugural Celebration of the United Nation’s World Tuna Day. Radio Air Date 4/28/2017.
44) Tuna Management. As discussed with Paul Dalzell, WPRFMC’s Senior Scientist. Radio Air Date 2/04/2017.
43) WPRFMC’s Year in Review. Key things that happened in 2016 and what’s in store ahead. Mark Mitsuyasu, WPRFMC’s Insular Program Manager and Paul Dalzell, WPRFMC’s Senior Scientist are interviewed. Radio Air Date 12/31/2016.
42)Non-Commercial Fishing License. How would requiring a non-commercial fishing license affect fishing in Hawaii? This and more on non-commercial fishing licenses are discussed with Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fishery Analyst. Radio Air Date 12/17/2016.
41) WPRFMC’s Scoping Meetings. What are these meetings for? What meetings are coming up? How can you attend? Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fishery Analyst explains. Radio Air Date 12/03/16
40)WPRFMC’s Annual Report. What are they? Why are they produced? and How do I get a copy? Discussion with WPRFMC’s staff members: Josh DeMello, Fisheries Analyst, Asuka Ishizaki, Protected Species Specialist, Marlowe Sabater, Marine Ecosystem Scientist and Rebecca Walker, Fisheries Analyst. Radio Air Date 11/26/2016.
38) How Safe is Hawaii Seafood to eat? – Scared about the recent salmonella outbreak in Limu? Wondering how to protect yourself? Listen to an interview with John Kaneko, Hawaii Seafood Council’s Seafood safety specialist. Radio Air Date 11/19/16.
37) Monographs – This radio interview discusses WPRFMC’s Monograph series. What are they? Why does the council produce them? And where to find them.. Radio Interview with Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fisheries Analyst. Radio Air Date 11/12/16
36) Ties that Bind: Hawaii in the Pacific – A documentary about how fish go “From The Ocean To The Poke Bowl”, as well as the conditions facing foreign fishermen in the Hawaii Longline Fleet as discussed with the film maker Caleb McMahan. Radio Air Date 11/05/16.
35)Magnuson-Stevens Act Reauthorization Act. Learn more about the original Magnuson-Stevens act which is currently being reauthorized by congress as discussed with Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fisheries Analyst. Radio Air Date 11/05/16.
34)Professor Ray Hilborn. Distinguished Fisheries Professor Ray Hilborn discusses sustainability of World Fisheries with Mike Buck (2 parts)
Part 1: Air Date: 2/13/16
Part 2: Air Date: 2/20/16
33) FISH Project Internship. How to apply, what to expect discussed with Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fishery Analyst and project coordinator of the FISH Project Internship program. Air Date: 2/6/16
32) Akule Population Estimation Project. Using aerial surveys to estimate relative abundance of akule around Oahu. Discussed with John Wiley, Contractor with WPRFMC. Air Date: 1/30/16.
31) Large Pelagics Tagging Projects. Discussed with Dr. Molly Lutcavage, SSC Member and Clay Tam, Pacific Islands Fisheries Group. Radio Air Date: 1/23/16
30)Stock Assessments and how information is gathered. Radio interview with Cassandra Pardee. Radio Air Date: 1/16/16
29) Quota exchange system explained and plans for 2016 year with Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fishery Analyst. Radio Air Date: 1/9/16
28) Certified Angling instructor who is teaching Boy Scouts how to fish in Hawaii. Stan Wright, Bass and Oio Fishermen. Radio Air Date 9/26/2015.
27) Saltonstall-Kennedy Grant Program, what is it? How can you apply? and more with Josh DeMello, WRPFMC’s fishery analyst. Radio Air Date 9/19/2015.
26) Proposed changes to green seaturtle rules, how you can have input in the decision making process and more. Interviewee is Asuka Ishizaki, WPRFMC’s Protected Species Coordinator. Radio Air Date 9/12/2015.
25) Bigeye Tuna Closure, what triggered it? What will happen now? explained by Eric Kingma, WPRFMC’s International Fishery/NEPA Enforcement Fisheries Development Coordinator. Radio Air Date 9/05/2015.
24) Deep 7 Bottomfish as discussed with Marlowe Sabater, WRPFMC’s Marine Ecosystem Scientist. Radio Air Date 8/29/2015.
23) Aha Moku, what is it? What does it do? with Charley Kaaiai, WPRFMC’s Indigenous Program Coordinator. Radio Air Date 8/22/2015.
22) How are fishery management decisions made? with guest Basil Oshiro, bottomfisherman and WRPFMC’s Advisory Panel member. Radio Air Date 8/15/2015.
21) What makes recreational fishing different from other fishing in Hawaii? Joshua DeMello, WPRFMC’s fishery analyst. Radio Air Date 8/08/2015.
20) Ahi Tuna Closure due to reach quota. Why was the fishery closed? What will happen? as discussed with Paul Dalzell, WPRFMC’s Senior Scientist. Radio Air Date 8/01/2015.
19) Fishing Conflicts that arise, how we can mitigate and resolve these issues with Chris Hawkins, WPRFMC’s Social Scientist. Radio Air Date: 7/25/15
18) The social and economic importance of small yellowfin tuna with Chris Hawkins, WPRFMC’s Social Scientist. Radio Air Date: 7/18/15
17) The reauthorization of the Magnuson Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act. Why is this important? What type of changes can we expect? How will this affect you? Discussed with Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fishery Analyst. Radio Air Date: 7/11/15
16) Data-limited fish stocks, how does this effect fisheries management? How can we get more data? This and more discussed with Paul Dalzell, WPRFMC’s Senior Scientist. Radio Air Date: 7/4/15
15) Fishing tournaments as a venue for data collection as well as the importance of complete and correct data for fishery management decisions with Josh DeMello, WPRFMC’s Fisheries Analyst and Chris Hawkins, WPRFMC’s Social Scientist. Radio Air Date: 6/27/15
14) 163rd Council Meeting and Fisher Forum outcomes. Interviewee Mike Goto, United Fishing Agency. Radio Air Date: 6/20/15
13) Seafood safety and traceability and a Fishers Forum on this topic discussed by Justin Hospital, economist with the Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center, and Sylvia Spalding, WPRFMC’s communications officer. Radio Air Date: 6/13/15
12) Ecosystem and fishery indicators of productivity with Jeff Polovina, Division Chief of Ecosystem Science Division of NOAA PIFSC. Radio Air Date: 6/06/15
11) Catch reports and what happens with the information reported with Dr. Chris Boggs, Divison Chief of NOAA PIFSC. Radio Air Date: 5/30/15
10) Using video surveys to evaluate fishery resources. Interviewees are Mark Mitsuyasu, WPRFMC’s Insular Program Officer and Dean Sensui, Executive Producer for Hawaii Productions Associates and “Hawaii Goes Fishing”. Radio Air Date: 5/23/15
9) Fish Aggregation Devices (FADs) 101. Discussion includes types of FAD’s, utilization by different fisheries, private versus permitted FADs and concerns about FADs found in the Western Pacific Region with Eric Kingma, WPRFMC’s International Fishery/NEPA Enforcement Fisheries Development Coordinator. Radio Air Date: 5/9/15
7/8) Development of seafood waste utilization. Discussion on how fish processing waste can be converted into feed for aquaculture or fertilizer with Mark Mitsuyasu, WPRFMC’s Insular Program Officer and Warren Dominy, Senior Technical Consultant for Aquafeed.com
Part 1 (19:09 Minutes)
Part 2 (17:24 Minutes)
Radio Air Date: 4/18/2015
6) How the council has to comply to federal standards and the council’s five-year research priorities with Chris Hawkins, WPRFMC’s Social Scientist. Radio Air Date: 4/25/15
5) Surveying fishermen and developing a noncommercial fisheries database. Interviewee is Chris Hawkins, WPRFMC’s Social Scientist. Radio Air Date: 4/11/15
4) Green Sea Turtle (honu) interview with Asuka Ishizaki, WPRFMC’s Protected Species Coordinator and Mac PoePoe, Molokai Community Member. Discussion includes proposed revision of listing status under Endangered Species Act, and future of honu management in Hawaii. Radio Air Date 4/4/15
3) Discussion on Community Based Management with Charley Ka’ai’ai, Indigenous Coordinator for WPRFMC. Radio Air Date: 3/28/15
2) Information on the “Marine Science Course on Fishery and Resource Management” that is available to high school students during the summer of 2015. Past students are interviewed about what they learned and experienced during the course. Radio Air Date: 3/21/15
1) WPRFMC’s Code of Conduct. Interview with Charley Ka’ai’ai, Indigenous Coordinator, and Craig Severence, SSC Member. Radio Air Date: 3/21/15
KKMP Radio (Radio station in CNMI)
4) KKMP discussing the action items that will be discussed at the upcoming 159th Council Meeting being held in CNMI and Saipan as discussed with Jack Ogumoro, WPRFMC’s Island Coordinator, Arnold Palacios, WPRFMC’s Council Chair and Richard Seman, WPRFMC’s Council Member. Radio Air date – 3/26/2014.
3) KKMP discussing WPRFMC REAC recommendations as discussed with Jack Ogumoro, WPRFMC’s Island Coordinator, Arnold Palacios, WPRFMC’s Council Chair and Richard Seman, WPRFMC’s Council Member. Radio Air Date – 3/15/2014.
2) Returning of some submerged lands but withholding others as discussing with Jack Ogumoro, WPRFMC’s Island Coordinator, Arnold Palacios, CNMI DLNR Secretary and John Gourley, WPRFMC’s Council Member. Radio Air Date – 2/19/2014.
1) CNMI Lunar Calendar, AP meeting as discussed with Jack Ogumoro, WPRFMC’s Island Coordinator, and Calendar committee Member. Radio Air Date – 3/15/2014.